The Summer Educator Fellowship (SEF) provides an opportunity for teachers interested in developing authentic research-inspired educational modules, with a focus in biomedical health sciences. Teachers in this program will work closely with faculty at Texas A&M University in colleges/schools of: Medicine, Education and Human Development, Veterinary Medicine and Public Health, to develop science and health-related educational modules.
SEF (4 weeks total): 3 weeks, June 25-July 19 + 1 week, July 23-27 at K-12 Summer Institute.
The Research Education for Teachers (RET) program focuses on biomedical engineering and technology. Teachers in these programs will work closely with faculty at Texas A&M University in colleges/schools of Engineering including Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science and Technology to develop engineering and technology-based educational modules.
RET (6 weeks total): 3 weeks, June 25-July 19 + 1 week, July 23-27 at K-12 Summer Institute + two weeks spread across the rest of the year.
- The first week of both programs will be held on-site at Texas A&M University with paid housing + an additional $100.00 stipend for groceries (6/25/18 – 6/29/18).
- There will be a July 4th break from Monday, July 2nd through Thursday, July 5th.
- The two weeks following will be held at home schools in Mercedes, TX, and will focus on continuing module development through interactions with TAMU faculty (7/6/18 – 7/19/18).
- The fourth week will consist of the 2018 K-12 Environmental Health Sciences Summer Institute held in Kerrville, TX (7/23/18 – 7/27/18).
- Please see link for additional information http://k12summerinstitute.org.
- For teachers in the RET program, there will be an additional two weeks (following the Summer Institute) spread across the rest of the year for follow up on the lesson module development.
A stipend of $500/week (excluding SI week) will be provided to each participant in each of the programs i.e. a total of $1,500 for SEF, and $2,500 for RET.
Please read all the instructions carefully. Teachers can choose to participate in either the SEF program or the RET program (not both).
The application deadline for both programs is March 16, 2018.
All sections of the application must be completed and received by the deadline date for the application to be considered.
1) You will be asked to provide:
- which program you are interested in (please check the box provided),
- employment history,
- courses taught, and
- curriculum development experience (none is required).
2) You will be asked to upload (.doc/.docx or .pdf):
- a personal statementthat provides information about your background, educational philosophies, your efforts to enhance student achievement and goals for participating in the SEF or RET.
3) All the fields marked with a red star are required. If a field is not applicable, then please write N/A.
4) Please plan to have all your information ready before starting with the application. The application cannot be saved on this portal and will need to be completed and submitted in one sitting.